Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Because It's That Important . . .

The First Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Freedom of speech has no limits – except, maybe, yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. Ponder that, for a moment or two. And consider that this freedom is crucial for citizens in the Bay area. Use it, or lose it – now, and forever. Think of it as a (sort of) positronic haiku:

"Congress shall
make no law
respecting an establishment
of religion,
or prohibiting
the free exercise thereof;

or abridging
the freedom
of speech,

or
of the press;

or
the right of the people
peaceably
to assemble,

and

to petition
the government
for a redress
of grievances."

We should use any, and all, the options, thereof . . .

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! I got an error message sending an email to you. So I'm using this. It is way off topic, so I apologize...

Hey jim!! thanks for stopping by my blog! I really like yours - keep up the good work.

For some reason, my comment spam preventer thought you were a spammer. I have fixed that, so all your comments are now posted. I apologize...

have a great day!

Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on second thought, it is on topic...

:)

Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're interested, I wrote a post about the book ban, and how it pertains to the First Amendment.

the link is here: http://vitaminsea.typepad.com/vitaminsea/2005/10/give_light_and_.html

Friday, October 14, 2005 6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

To TBM'ers . . . I've gone to the link in Laura's post and read "Give Light and the People Will Find Their Own Way." Good read. Well worth the time. For your convenience, I've posted it below as a live link:

Click here

Friday, October 14, 2005 7:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home